8.30.2006

I think it was the bolognese


So last night was the last SIR of the year, or to you newbys, PIR. I had never won one and Pruitt has held that over my head for about 7 years. It was a typical final SIR, chilly, threatening skies, and wind. The masters race series was decided I think. The excel team was dishing out some serious speed for the sprints. There were points 1&2 for the winner of the primes and the final sprint. Matt Hill and Martin were going at each other for those. I was pretty impressed with the way excel was leading out the sprints. very fast all the way to the line. Its great to see that but not so fun to have dudes in there that really have no business in a sprint. a) they are not fast enough or b) they are puffs that sit up if they dont think they are going to win or dont have the balls to dig that deep. Both primes were like that and when we came into the final half lap, the right team took their spot on the front to lead it out. I actually won the stinking thing and now wished that I actually rode my bike every once and a while. Then again, you could argue that I sat in the whole time. But no one was really attacking last night to try and get out. It seemed to me that it was planned to end in a bunch sprint and I sat in the front 15 the whole race and I was the fattest dude out there with the hairiest legs.

Point is, to those out there who focus sooooo much on power meters, heart rates, fancy wheels, titanium screws, and having an expensive coach- there is nothing stronger than the mental aspect of our sport. Getting excited about winning a race is more important than preparing for it physically, although it helps to have some fitness.

Pay attention to what you are doing in the race and what you need to do to help your teammates or what they need to do to help you. The more energy you spend on yelling at someone because you think they took "your" wheel or you think they wronged you, is less energy you will have at the critical moment. Example, the two dudes yelling at eachother last night were nowhere in the sprint. Too many people think they know what they are doing and they really dont. And after all, its tuesday night racing, be cool.

Congratulations to the points getters this year, it takes alot to stay in it all year, heavens knows I cant. Until next year.

6 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Double C said...

Good job last night Shortbread & yes, it was the Bolognese!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger P-Dog said...

but you still haven't won a prime.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger CROW said...

That dam Bolognese is killing me .... slowly. Come to think of it everyone around me. It was tasty, though.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger CROW said...

What up? I see alot of similar features in this photo.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey was just rolling thru wanted to let ya know ya got a cool blog here Nice Job.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger craigerific said...

thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home