8.24.2006

If you dont believe in something, you'll fall for anything

Ask the questions. Thats really all we have to do. Why am I getting New Zealand apples when I live in washington? Why is my Italian bike frame made in Taiwan? Why does any of this stuff happen? Easy. No one asks questions.

In the begining, people thought the more exotic the item, the better. Why use chicken feathers when you can have ostritch. People thrive on getting their hands on the things that you cant get anymore. I heard someone say the other night, " I wish I would have got that fish they had on their menu cause its just about endangered and you wont be able to get soon."

There are several questions right there. But that is the mentality out there right now. If you never ask about where something is coming from or how it is produced then you get to live in this bizzare state of bliss. Call it denial if you want. People know animals are treated poorly. People also know people are treated poorly. But if it isnt in front of your face or you choose not to think about it then you dont feel too bad. But its back there in the hippicampus somewhere.

Cause then one day, you ask a question. How comes I cant get a pork tenderloin that isnt injected with water and salt? Why is it farmed salmon has food coloring added? How comes my natural chicken breast is so dang big. What does natural mean? What is a free range turkey and do they really have a bunch of room to run around. My body lotion is brown and natural but it is owned by johnson & johnson. Who makes these little parachutes in my fancy drink. They must have small hands. How bout my phone, my bike, my seat covers, my cool jeans, my cooler t shirts, my leather shoes.

When you ask the questions, you give yourself a choice. A choice to eat what you think is the right foods to eat, the right places to shop, the right businesses to support, the right organizations to affiliate yourself with, and the right people to talk to about these things. When you give yourself the choice, you learn from that choice, good or bad. You also get the knowledge so you can educate others on the choices you have made and how they make you feel.

4 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Blogger CROW said...

Crow's been ranting on some other blog, missing in place. It's some sort of french food site. Crow attempts to address many of of your shopping concerns by purchasing the necessary stuff of life and some really un-necessary second hand. Of course Crow has found that it is really hard to purchase pork tenderloin from Goodwill. It either goes really fast or there's a stank to it that just won't leave the house. Speaking of dang big chicken breasts makes me think of a really dang big set of undies for sale the other day at GW. Crow doubts were all-natural.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Double C said...

Crow has had way to much time on his hands this morning, uuuuuugggghhh.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Double C said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Double C said...

Hey man-

I do not see the counter?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home