6.17.2006

flying wheels 140


Today was the flying wheels summer century starting in Marymoor Park. Noted absenties this year:Randy Boettcher, Mike Pruitt, Matt Hubbard, Jason Wolff. I decided to ride out there to get in the necessary miles to feel comfortable doing STP in one day this year. Plus it was going to be a nice day. I didnt feel all that great in the morning which made me a bit nervous for the 7th hour in the ride. I met Geoffrey and Todd, who was dressed up in his randoneers extra long wool jersey. I told him I was convinced that in order to be a randoneer, you had to drop 15lbs, buy retro parts, and wear the required xlong jersey. He didnt think it was too funny. We headed out in cool weather and going hard like one tends to do in the first bit of a big ride and then after geoffrey and I bitched at eachother about who is always doing the driving, we settled in. We allowed about 2 minutes per rest stop except the monroe stop to eat lunch. It wasnt too much farther than that down the road, just by Willies Greens organic farm, that Todd completely unraveled. So I told him to sit on and I continued to go pretty hard cause we had a good group going at this point. Needless to say, he took a short cut home and is probly still trying to recover. Thats what happens if you dont eat! About 15 miles later Geoffrey and I started to run empty and shoved as much food, water, and gel into our faces before we got to that bitch of a climb. I think I would like that climb if I ever get to do it without being at the 100 mile mark of the day. The only real drag of the day was the ride back on the trail. There is a record number of roots out there now, if anyone hasnt noticed, and they beat up what was left of my ass the whole rest of the way home. As I got to the tdf hill, my wheels fell off. I thought I was going to have to stop at one point and at the top I was dizzy. Now to recover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home